Temporary workers seeking permits to legally work in Canada are invited to contact our office for assistance with your particular concerns.  Generally, applicants must first have an offer of employment before they can apply for a work permit.

There are three categories of work applicable to foreign workers in Canada:

  • Work which requires no work permit (e.g.: some business visitors, athletes, performing artists, public speakers, or news reporters)
  • Work which requires a work permit, but no Labour Market Opinion (e.g.: intra-corporate transferees, NAFTA workers, and PNP certificate holders)
  • Work which requires both a work permit and a Labour Market Opinion

Documents required to apply from outside Canada

  • A job offer from a Canadian employer
  • A completed application that shows applicant meets requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
  • A Labour Market Opinion from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC, before named HRSDC), if applicable.

Application from inside Canada

There are different types of foreign nationals that can request a work permit or a change in their current status whilst they are in Canada. In some instances, Canadian immigration regulations allow for “Open” Work Permits, which are not employer-specific.

We provide advice to our clients who want to apply for a work permit from inside Canada by helping them to determine whether they are eligible, prepare the required documents and guide them in the process.

NAFTA Work Permit

Citizens of the United States and Mexico may be eligible to work in Canada under the North American Free Trade Agreement (“NAFTA”). NAFTA allows easier entry to Canada for qualifying U.S. and Mexican citizens who wish to do so for business or investment purposes, on a temporary basis. Temporary workers who qualify under NAFTA do not need to obtain a positive Labour Market Opinion (“LMO”) from ESDC.

In order to qualify under NAFTA, you must meet the requirements for one of the following categories:

  • Business Professional (or NAFTA Professional)
  • Intra-Company Transferee

Contact us to find out if you qualify.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Immigration Lawyer Deidre S. Powell at telephone:  613-695-8777 or email at info@deidrepowell.com with the subject line “Immigration”. Please state if you would like to retain us or if your question is for publication in the Jamaica Gleaner.