Study Permit

Generally speaking, prospective students may need a study permit to study in Canada, and/or a temporary resident visa.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Valid Acceptance letter from a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada
  • Proof of required funds to pay for tuition fees and living expenses
  • No criminal record or risk to Canadian security
  • Good health (possible medical examination)
  • Satisfactory demonstration to immigration officer of intention to leave Canada when authorized stay expires.

We assist clients with their application for study permit, as well as, assist with their application for extension of time to stay in Canada as students.

Restoring your Status as a Student

If your study permit expired and you did not apply to extend it, we can assist you with an application to restore student status within 90 days of loss or expiration.

The application for the student status restoration grants the applicant the right to stay in Canada but the individual may not study until a positive decision is rendered. We help our clients position the best possible case for restoring student status, in light of the overall circumstances. Call us at 613.695.8777 to schedule an appointment to speak with us.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Immigration Lawyer Deidre S. Powell at telephone:  613-695-8777 or email at with the subject line “Immigration”. Please state if you would like to retain us or if your question is for publication in the Jamaica Gleaner.